- 5 medium green, red or yellow peppers
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/4 pounds extra-lean ground turkey (99% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1-3/4 cups shredded cheddar-flavored lactose-free or other cheese
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 325°. Cut peppers lengthwise in half; remove seeds. Place in a 15x10x1-in. pan coated with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook and crumble turkey with onion, garlic and seasonings over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink, 6-8 minutes. Cool slightly. Stir in tomatoes, cheese and bread crumbs.
- Fill pepper halves with turkey mixture. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, until filling is heated through and peppers are tender, 20-25 minutes.
2 stuffed pepper halves: 323 calories, 10g fat (0 saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 771mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 40g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.