- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Minced fresh basil, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook and stir until tender, 2-4 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, except for optional fresh basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or cool soup slightly and puree in batches in a blender; return to pan and heat through. If desired, top with fresh minced basil.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add water if necessary.
GRILL CHEESE CROUTONS
For croutons that won’t immediately soak up all the soup, use day-old bread and cook it slower than normal so you end up with a crispy, drier sandwich. Butter one side of two slices of day-old, hearty bread. Place one slice in a skillet over medium-low heat; top with your favorite cheese slices. Top with the second slice, butter side up, and cook until dark golden brown, 4-5 minutes. Flip and cook another 4-5 minutes. Remove and cut into cubes.
- 1-1/4 cups: 76 calories
- 2g fat (0 saturated fat)
- 0 cholesterol
- 627mg sodium
- 13g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber)
- 2g protein.
- Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.